Here’s what we know about vaping: it’s bad for the health of your students, staff, and employees.
We’ve also found that school districts, and other organizations we talk with, are struggling to overcome this odorless challenge, especially during COVID.
The common pain points and challenges are these:
- Vaping is very hard to detect and manage because its odorless and does not smell.
- School districts are struggling to find a balance between educational programs rather than suspension for students who get caught using e-cigarettes.
- Most organizations and school districts don’t have a documented disciplinary plan for when they do catch students or staff in the act.
- Teachers are now having to get involved because students can easily vape in the classroom, causing distractions.
- Vaping has reached epidemic levels, especially in threatening to hook a new generation of young people.
Plus, the results of a May Wall Street Journal survey are astonishing.
- The survey found over one-third of teens currently vape.
- More than half of teens who vape say they do it because they like the flavors that e-cigarette liquids come in, plus it’s trendy.
- Two-thirds admitted that vaping can be part of a “healthy life.”
Vaping stats and how to not end up a statistic (how to solve your vaping issues)
Four eye-opening statistics from ClearWay Minnesota, a nonprofit seeking to improve the health of Minnesotans by reducing tobacco use and exposure, had this to say about vaping.
- E-cigarette and vaping by high school students increased 78% from 2017 to 2018.
- There are more than 15,000 tobacco flavors of e-cigarette’s designed to entice teens.
- E-cigs almost always contain nicotine (though some e-cigarettes claim to be nicotine-free) and nicotine harms parts of the brain that control attention, learning, mood and impulse control.
- E-cigarette’s can contain as much addictive nicotine as 20 cigarettes.
Like you, we know that vaping chemicals used in the vaping liquids can be concentrated and dangerous.
So, what’s the solution? What’s one of the best methods that schools and other companies are implementing to combat this growing epidemic?
The sensor devices, which look like smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, detect vaping in places such as bathrooms and closets. This is important because these are the kinds of places where kids have tried to smoke for decades.
As an educator, business leaders, teacher, or school official, we’re positive that you want to give your students and employees a safe, positive environment while avoiding distractions from vaping. It’s never been more important to deliver reliable, high quality, and cost-effective vaping detection and building automation solutions to our school systems and buildings.
The detection technology and sensors from Parallel Technologies work in conjunction to detect vaping, THC chemicals, and even loud noises that result from bullying and fighting. The vaping detection solution integrates into your school’s existing building automation system, offers data analytics, seamlessly notify administrators, and can be maximized for the rooms inside your school(s).
Parallel Technologies has been helping schools and businesses with intelligent building design, including vaping detection, for more than 20 years. Click here to talk with us about vaping solutions for your business or organization.